Saturday, August 18, 2012

Monument 14







Monument 14
By: Emmy Laybourne
ISBN: 9780312569037
Length: 294 Pages
Reason:Barnes and Noble Book Club

 





Good Reads Summary:

Your mother hollers that you’re going to miss the bus. She can see it coming down the street. You don’t stop and hug her and tell her you love her. You don’t thank her for being a good, kind, patient mother. Of course not—you launch yourself down the stairs and make a run for the corner.Only, if it’s the last time you’ll ever see your mother, you sort of start to wish you’d stopped and did those things. Maybe even missed the bus.But the bus was barreling down our street, so I ran.Fourteen kids. One superstore. A million things that go wrong. 

Review: 

WHAT AN ENDING!!

I was pulled into this book not by it's cover but because of the subject matter. I mean who has not dreamed of being stuck in a superstore/department store when you were a child? I was shocked at how quickly I was pulled into this book. I never wanted to set it down. The book opens up on a sunny day in Monument, Colorado. However, that soon changes with the on set of a hailstorm, bus explosion, earthquake, and chemical warfare. All within the first four chapters!

Stuck inside Greenway(basically a Wal-mart/Target), 14 children from the age of 5-18 are fighting for survival. Though the characters tend to fall into stereotypes (Alex the brain, Astrid the popular girl, Dean the recluse, Jake the Jock, Braydon the Jerk, etc.) it is not extremely noticeable and very helpful for the reader. If it was not for there stereotypical traits I would have soon lost all sense of the children amongst the chaos and destruction. Each character reacts to the destruction in a different manner. Emmy did a fantastic job demonstrating how people in real life react in similar situations.

Emmy portrays fear in a very unique way for a young adult novel. She does not only make you afraid for the characters but for yourself as well. She does this by playing on those small everyday fears we all have. 

Sadly though no book is perfect, however I did only have a small issue with the book and I really only noticed it at after I finished. The children seemed almost to smart for their age. They always seemed to be on top of the trouble and ready for action, which lets face it any of us would be, but they seemed to have it way to under control. 

All the summaries I have read for this book say basically the same thing and sadly I can not talk much more about the book with out giving away it's secrets. I love this book and I cannot wait for the next one. Emmy did a fantastic job and has me as a fan for all of her writing!

GO GET THIS BOOK!!!!!!
Go NOW why are you still here?!?!?
Let me help you out Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne

I give this a 5 out of 5

Recommendations:




No comments:

Post a Comment